As a 600-acre fire lit up the sky just across the border, rural East County residents were left with nothing but daylight.
Around 8:15 Wednesday morning, over 700 people lost power as fire caught in Tecate, Mexico.
The night before, San Diego Gas & Electric reportedly called residents to warn them about high winds and red flag conditions. According to East County Magazine, those called were outraged because SDG&E told them it would shut off the power due to that red flag alert. That meant the people could not receive reverse 911 calls.
However, SDG&E said the outage was not planned and was not related to that fire. An equipment malfunction caused the electricity to fail.
The outage lasted just over five hours.