Neighbors and a police officer rushed into a house engulfed in flames to rescue a paraplegic woman still inside.
A cousin sleeping inside the home on Jackson Drive noticed the fire around 1:30 a.m. and woke up the rest of the family which included Diana Bandak, her sister who lives with MS and her mother who lives with Alzheimer's.
Bandak said she called 911 but could not leave the bedside of her sister.
When a San Diego police officer arrived, he asked for help from two neighbors to get Bandak's sister out of the home.
They had to go through a window where Bandak inside waited with her sister.
"They're amazing," Bandak said. "They're our angels."
The sister was sent to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Another neighbor opened their home so the mother could sleep inside.
Bandak said her neighborhood is "the most fantastic neighborhood I've ever lived in."
The San Diego chapter of the American Red Cross will help the family find lodging.
Firefighters told Bandak the cause of the fire was an overloaded outlet.
Keep up to date on breaking news: Download our improved iPhone app, follow us on Twitter @nbcsandiego, fan us on Facebook, sign up for our breaking news e-mail alerts or text SDBREAKING to 622339 to receive text messages for local breaking news. (For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.)