The California Department of Public Health is expanding the recall of Red Vines Black Licorice and Snaps for excessive amounts of lead in the candy.
On Aug. 23 Red Vines Black Licorice Twists tested high in lead levels. Since then, the CDPH has found that other types of the candy also have been contaminated.
The following products are subject to this expanded recall:
- Black Licorice Bar, 2.5 oz.
- Jumbo Black Licorice Hanging Bag, 8 oz.
- Black Licorice Tray, 5 oz.
- Black Licorice Laydown Bag, 7 oz.
- Black Licorice Laydown Bag, 16 oz.
- Black Licorice Jar, 4 lbs.
- Mixed Bites Hanging Bag, 8 oz.
- Mixed Bites Bag, 16 oz.
- Family Mix Laydown Bag, 24 oz.
- Family Mix Laydown Bag, 32 oz.
- Snaps Hanging Bag, 5.5 oz.
- Snaps Theater Box, 4.5 oz.
- Snaps Tin, 12 oz.
The CDPH is working with the manufacturer to ensure the contaminated candies are removed from the marketplace.
Red Vines are manufactured and distributed by American Licorice CO., in Union City, CA.
If you have the candy, throw it away immediately. Pregnant women and children who may have consumed the candy should see a doctor.
Consumers who find this candy for sale should call the CDPH Complaint Hotline at 1 800-495-3232. For more information about lead poisoning, contact your county childhood lead poisoning prevention program or public health department.