Family Escapes House Fire

Once the family awoke, they saw smoke but couldn’t find the source

By R. Stickney and Brandi Powell
|  Tuesday, May 29, 2012  |  Updated 7:05 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
A Rancho Bernardo family, awakened by a fire alarm, thought it was a worn out battery but soon realized their home was on fire. NBC 7s Brandi Powell reports.

A Rancho Bernardo family, awakened by a fire alarm, thought it was a worn out battery but soon realized their home was on fire. NBC 7s Brandi Powell reports.

advertisement

A Rancho Bernardo family, awakened by a fire alarm, thought it was just a worn out battery but soon realized their home was on fire.

The fire began in the family’s garage at the home in the 12300-block of Avenida Consentido around 2 a.m. Tuesday.

Homeowner Terry McLean said the entire family was sleeping when the beeping began. Once they awoke, they saw smoke but couldn’t find the source.

“My boy got out of bed and looked out the window and he said there’s a fire in the garage,” he said.

Terry McLean, his wife and three kids calmly walked out of the home and gathered outside to wait for firefighters.

“We got what we could get on the way out. We didn’t try and panic and get last minute stuff,” he said.

Terry McLean thinks it was an electrical issue which started the fire.

San Diego Fire and Rescue crews are investigating.

Follow NBCSanDiego for the latest news, weather, and events: iPad App | iPhone App | Android App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out