One person died and a dog was injured in the fire in the 5000-block of Hawley Boulevard in Normal Heights. NBC 7's Greg Bledsoe reports.
Firefighters discovered a body after fire ripped through a Normal Heights studio apartment Tuesday.
One person died and a dog was injured in the fire in the 5000-block of Hawley Boulevard.
When firefighters were called to the residence around 10:45 p.m., they found fire in the laundry room attached to the apartment behind another home.
Crews jumped up onto the roof to open vents with sparks flying into the air around them.
When firefighters entered the main apartment, they found an unconscious dog. They were able to provide the dog with oxygen.
They also found a body in that back structure officials said.
“There was only one person who lived in that back apartment but we haven’t completed the identification to be able to put two and two together to make sure that it was that individual or not,” said Battalion Chief John Fisher.”
Officials did not have a cause as of 6:30 a.m.
Check back for updates on this developing story.