No Foul Play Suspected in "Bachelorette" Contestant's Death

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    abc.com/The Bachelorette

    Rancho Santa Fe resident Julien Hug, a former contestant on "The Bachelorette" reality show, was found dead in Riverside County, Calif., two days after his family lost contact with him when his cell phone died, a family spokesperson said Thursday.

    According to a release from the Riverside County sheriff's department, Hug's body was found in a remote area off Highway 74 in the Pinyon Pines area around 11 a.m. Wednesday. The area was so remote, that search crews could not reach Hug's body Wednesday night and had to wait until daybreak for a helicopter to deliver investigators to the area. The helicopter was also used to remove the body for the coroner's office Thursday morning.

    The 35-year old had been on his way to help manage his family's newest restaurant, Augusta Modern, in Palm Desert when his cell phone died, said Audrey Doherty, a family publicist. No one had heard from him since, she said. He was reported missing.

    "They're just heartbroken about it, but they're hoping to mourn privately," Doherty said. "It's pretty devastating."

    The Palm Desert restaurant had a soft opening a few weeks ago and Hug commuted from his home in San Diego, Doherty said.

    Hug was the son of prominent San Diego restaurateurs Bertrand and Denise Hug who own the up-scale Mille Fleurs and Bertrand at Mister-A's.

    He was also a contestant on the reality show "The Bachlorette" in 2009. the opening sequence for the season, Hug talked about his love for skydiving and was filmed driving a red sports car.

    Officials say an autopsy has yet to be performed and the cause of his death is still under investigation however deputies say no foul play is suspected.