Teen Arrested for Mt. Carmel HS Threat

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    NBC 7's Elena Gomez reports on a threat scribbled on a bathroom stall at Mt. Carmel High School. She filed this report before officials announced they had made an arrest in the case.

    San Diego police have arrested a student in connection with a threat of violence at a high school in Rancho Penasquitos.

    On Friday, officers arrested a 15-year-old Mt. Carmel High School student for a threat written in pen on a boy’s bathroom stall.

    Investigators said the scribbled message indicated the intent to use explosives and a firearm at the school on Friday.

    SDPD Investigate School Threat

    [DGO] SDPD Investigate School Threat
    NBC 7's Elena Gomez reports on a threat scribbled on a bathroom stall at Mt. Carmel High School. She filed this report before officials announced they had made an arrest in the case.

    After an investigation, officers took the unidentified male student into custody at 9:30 a.m. on the school's campus.

    They say there was no evidence the student had the means to carry out the threat or that anybody else was involved.

    Threat Hangs Over Mt. Carmel High School

    [DGO] Troubling Threat Hangs Over Mt. Carmel High School
    A strong police presence will be felt at one North County school after a threat was scribbled inside of a boy's bathroom earlier this week. NBC 7's Artie Ojeda reports.

    One student, who did not want to be identified, told NBC 7 that news of the threat rattled the student body.

    “There's a lot of people who are actually frightened about it. They don't feel safe at the school,” the student said.

    As a precaution, four to five SDPD officers were present on the MCHS campus Friday.

    Earlier this week, Greg Magno, principal at Mt. Carmel High School (MCHS), sent an email to parents regarding the incident.

    The email said a student reported finding some writing on a stall door in a boy’s bathroom on campus that contained some type of threat to the school set to take place on Friday, September 20, during 5th period.

    Magno’s email to parents said he contacted the San Diego Police Department, and an investigation was launched into the threat.

    “The Poway Unified School District is committed to the physical safety of all of our students and staff. It is unfortunate that this has occurred,” Magno’s email read.

    “Of course, our initial reaction is the shock,” said MCHS parent Mike Ritchie.

    Ritchie was attending a freshman football scrimmage Thursday night.

    "I almost don't want to give in to pranksters like that. They're in there to disrupt and if you let them disrupt how you're doing this, you've kind of given in to what they're trying to do," he said, adding that his children were going to classes Friday.

    Another parent, April Anderson, said she immediately considered keeping her child home but agrees the students should report to school Friday.

    “My initial reaction was well, my daughter is not going to school on Friday,” she said.

    "In reality, something bad could happen at any time, and of course no us want that to happen, but I don't believe in letting these kids live their lives in fear."

    The parents who spoke to NBC 7 were quick to praise the Poway Unified School District for its rapid response.

    Follow NBC 7 for the latest news, weather, and events: iPad App | iPhone App | Android App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts