The future of the Balboa Park Centennial celebration was scheduled to be discussed at a San Diego City Council Committee meeting on Wednesday as the city and organizers grapple with the event’s downsized budget.
Wednesday’s meeting comes as planning of 2015’s Balboa Park Centennial celebration was transferred from non-profit group Balboa Park Celebration Incorporated to the city after it was discovered a large portion of the almost $3 million budget had already been spent.
In early March, BCPI reported having just $553,911 cash on hand.
The money spent thus far, according to BCPI, went toward consulting, marketing and media groups.
Although, BCPI said it was creating much smaller and less expensive events instead of one grand celebration, the planning group later disbanded and handed the Balboa Park Centennial project back to the city.
At Wednesday’s meeting, Mayor Kevin Faulconer’s office has been asked to give an update on where the Balboa Centennial project stands after a request was made by councilmember David Alavrez.
Faulconer, who once criticized BCPI for refusing to disclose its financial information, has said that he will look into getting back the millions of dollars that the planning group spent.
“We need to make sure that we have a celebration that the community gets behind, that works for Balboa Park, that is open, that is transparent and has both the park and community support that we need," Faulconer said earlier this month.
Wednesday’s council meeting is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. at the City Administration Building.