An accidental kitchen fire sent a Solana Beach man to the hospital with serious burn injuries covering half of his body, officials said.
A friend and neighbor of the victim said he immediately ran out of his home when he noticed all of the commotion outside the studio apartment on South Cedros Avenue around 2 a.m.
“I feel sick to my stomach,” David Cadigan said when he learned about the victim.
Fire crews had to force their way inside and found the fire was coming from the kitchen area.
They were able to get the fire out fast and that's when they found one man inside, officials said.
Emergency personnel performed CPR on the victim and transported him to the UC San Diego Burn Center.
Nearby apartments were evacuated as a precaution.
As protocol, investigators with the Metro Arson Strike Team (MAST) were called to look into the cause of the fire.
Check back for updates on this developing story.