Julian Shooting Suspect Arraigned

Accused pleads not guilty of three charges

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    A man involved in a Julian shooting last week pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to charges of attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

    Jeffery Roberson was accused of shooting a male acquaintance outside a trailer park in Julian last week. Today he was ordered held without bail.

    Shortly before 9 a.m. last Thursday a motorist driving through Julian saw the 34-year-old victim lying on a roadside in the area of Banner Road and Apple Lane.

    The driver picked up the wounded man and drove him to a nearby fire station, where he was airlifted to Palomar Medical Center in Escondido, according to Sgt. Tom Poulin with the sheriff's department.

    The victim is expected to survive.

    Based on victim statements, deputies went to a large residential lot in the 35600-block of state Route 78, where they arrested Roberson. Roberson lives in the neighborhood with his girlfriend, 40-year-old Jennifer Minor. Minor was also arrested, but not charged in the case, prosecutors said.

    According to Poulin, it is unclear what prompted the gunfire. The victim apparently knew the suspects and had visited them at their trailer in the past.

    After the shooting, the wounded man walked more than a mile before collapsing. It looked as though a single round from a small-caliber gun had passed through the victim’s left arm before lodging in his neck, Poulin said. The gun that fired the shot was not recovered immediately.

    Roberson will be back in court April 15 for a preliminary hearing at the courthouse in El Cajon.