DA Declines to File Molestation Charges Against 76-Year-Old

By Sarah Grieco and Monica Garske
|  Wednesday, Nov 7, 2012  |  Updated 8:49 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
No Charges Filed in Alleged Molestation Case

Getty Images

advertisement

A 76-year-old man accused of molesting two preschool-age girls was not arraigned in court Wednesday after the District Attorney’s office declined to file charges.

Earlier this week, Tito Callanta was accused of lewd acts with girls ages 3 and 5, police said in a statement. According to Oceanside police the alleged incidents occurred last month in a condominium complex near the Callanta’s Oceanside residence.

Police alleged Callanta attempted to molest a 5-year-old girl on Oct. 21 and another 3-year-old girl earlier that month. In both cases, police said the suspect allegedly used two small dogs he was walking to lure the children behind a dumpster in the complex.

Though police arrested Callanta earlier this week without incident and booked him into Vista Detention Facility on charges of attempted kidnapping and child molestation, he was not arraigned as planned on Wednesday.

Instead, court officials said that after a thorough review, the DA’s office has declined to file charges against him in this case.

As of Wednesday night, Callanta was still being held at Vista Detention Facility, according to the San Diego Sheriff’s Department log.
.

Follow NBC 7 for the latest news, weather, and events: iPad App | iPhone App | Android App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out