Kitchen Fire Damages Downtown Restaurant

The blaze began in the kitchen of the J.Wok Asian restaurant around 4:15 p.m.

By Monica Garske
|  Sunday, Sep 23, 2012  |  Updated 10:23 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Kitchen Fire Damages Downtown Restaurant

NBCSanDiego

advertisement

A kitchen fire caused damages to an Asian restaurant in downtown San Diego Saturday afternoon, fire officials said.

The blaze sparked around 4:15 p.m. at the J.Wok restaurant located at 744 Market St. and 8th Avenue.

Firefighters saw flames from their nearby fire station even before getting word of the fire from dispatch.

Officials said the fire broke out in the stove flue. Grease in the exhaust vent also caught on fire, shooting flames out of the roof.

Restaurant patrons and residents living on the second floor of the building were able to get out safely before emergency crews arrived.

Within 20 minutes, firefighters had knocked down the fire.

Officials estimate the unintentional fire caused $15,000 in damages to the restaurant.

J.Wok closed its doors for the weekend, but will reopen Monday.
 

Follow NBC 7 for the latest news, weather, and events: iPad App | iPhone App | Android App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out