A Hazmat team investigated chemical fumes leaking from a Morena business Wednesday afternoon, according to fire officials.
The incident started around 1:15 p.m. at a fiberglass company near Sherman Street and Custer Street.
According to officials, an employee noticed a strange odor. Officials said the fumes were coming from a 55-gallon barrel of chemicals used to harden epoxy. Apparently the lid had been blown off.
Officials said a chemical reaction caused the material to become extremely hot, so they are waiting to remove the barrel.
Crews evacuated about 50 people from nearby businesses. No one was injured.
Check back for updates on this developing story.
View Sherman St & Custer St in a larger map