"Bachelorette" Contestant Committed Suicide: Family

By R. Stickney
|  Friday, Nov 5, 2010  |  Updated 3:49 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
In Memoriam

abc.com/The Bachelorette

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

Rancho Santa Fe resident Julien Hug, a former contestant on "The Bachelorette" reality show who was found dead in Riverside County, Calif., earlier this week, committed suicide, his family told multiple news outlets on Friday.

"He left a letter for me, his mom, co-workers, his girlfriend at the time," Hug's father, Bertrand Hug, told Us Weekly. "He wanted us to know it was his only way out."

Julien was "depressed and struggling," his father added.

Riverside County sheriff's deputies reported earlier this week that Hug's body was found in a remote area off state Route 74 in the Pinyon Pines area around 11 a.m. Wednesday.

The 35-year-old was on his way to help manage his family's newest restaurant, Augusta Modern, in Palm Desert when his cell phone died, said Audrey Doherty, a family publicist. No one heard from him since, she said.

"They're just heartbroken about it, but they're hoping to mourn privately," Doherty said of Hug's family. "It's pretty devastating."

The Palm Desert restaurant had a soft opening a few weeks ago and Hug commuted from his home in San Diego, Doherty said.

Hug was the son of prominent San Diego restaurateurs Bertrand and Denise Hug, who own the upscale Mille Fleurs and Bertrand at Mister-A's. He can be seen in a YouTube video promoting the family business.

He was also a contestant on the reality show "The Bachelorette" in 2009. In the opening sequence for the season, Hug talked about his love for skydiving and was filmed driving a red sports car.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out