Riverside officials say a fire in a house packed to the ceiling with junk has killed 14 dogs.
Fire Capt. Scott Wilson says an electrical problem sparked the blaze around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday night when the homeowner was away. The fire killed 14 Lhasa Apso dogs that were in cages in a room. Battalion Chief Bill Stamper says they probably died from smoke inhalation.
Firefighters had trouble dousing the fire in the kitchen and back porch area because they were stuffed with clutter and there was no way to get inside. Wilson also says there was concern that embers had ignited hidden fires in other rooms.
It took a half-hour to douse the flames, which caused about $120,000 in damage.