Fire Victim Was Fined for Cluttered House: Report

By R. Stickney
|  Thursday, Oct 1, 2009  |  Updated 7:42 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Saved by the Phone Alarm

Spencer Thornburg

Just getting to the fire was a challenge.

advertisement
Photos and Videos

Saved by the Phone Alarm

An alarm set on a mobile phone days ago saved a young couple caught in a house fire.
More Photos and Videos

A couple that survived a house fire near El Cajon was served with notices and fined for not cleaning up their property, according to a published report.

The two-story home on Valley View Boulevard caught fire just before 6 a.m. Wednesday. When firefighters arrived to the 80-year old house to fight the fire, they had trouble getting to it because of all the boxes and clutter inside.

The owner, Dale Wojczynski, had been fined $10,000 for failing to comply with orders to clean the property and comply with county codes, Pam Elias, the county's code-enforcement division chief told the San Diego Union-Tribune.

According to the UT, the county filed a criminal complaint and the case is expected to go to court before the end of the month despite the fire.

Wojczynski suffered minor injuries trying to escape the fire.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out