La Jolla Home Explodes into Flames

A water heater’s pilot light ignited the blast officials said.

By Tony Shin, Lauren Steussy, R.Stickney and Steven Luke
|  Wednesday, Oct 31, 2012  |  Updated 10:00 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Neighbors in a La Jolla neighborhood talk to NBC 7 reporter Steven Luke about the frightening site of a late night fire.

Neighbors in a La Jolla neighborhood talk to NBC 7 reporter Steven Luke about the frightening site of a late night fire.

advertisement
Photos and Videos

La Jolla House Fire: Video

Edited video showing the fire and explosion that woke neighbors on Mt. Soledad October 30, 2012.
More Photos and Videos

A natural gas leak near a water heater caused a La Jolla home to explode into flames Tuesday night.

Neighbors say flames shot 30 to 40 feet into the air.

"A boom. It kind of startled us," Mount Soledad resident John McCusker said as he described what happened when his neighbor's home burst into a raging house fire around 9:30 p.m. 

"About 10 seconds later, through my front door, I could see a bright light coming through," he said.

Firefighters say the explosion that shook neighbors near Soledad Road and Thunderbird Lane was accidental.

Maryann McCusker said at one point she saw the man who rents the home running from the fire. He was spotted later, uninjured, talking with San Diego police.

She and her husband John said they could feel the heat from across the street.

They along with other neighbors were very worried that the flames would spread to nearby homes.

Firefighters calmed those fears by quickly dousing the flames. By 10 p.m., the fire was knocked down. No injuries were reported.

No other homes were damaged.

The natural gas leak was in such a confined space in the garage, the water heater’s pilot light ignited the blast firefighters said.

According to San Diego Fire Rescue spokesperson Maurice Luque, homeowners need to remember when they smell natural gas, it’s important to get out right away.

The flick of a light switch or activation of a garage door opened can cause a similar explosion according to Luque.

Follow NBC 7 for the latest news, weather, and events: iPad App | iPhone App | Android App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out