Recent repairs on leaky pipes caused a fire inside a hotel near the campus of San Diego State University.
Crews arrived at the Best Western Lamplighter on 6474 El Cajon Boulevard near Montezuma Road around 7:40 a.m.
Three engines were parked in the hotel's parking lot while several firefighters stood outside one unit on the second floor.
Crews broke through the roof of one unit in the process of fighting the fire.
Firefighters had the flames knocked down by 8 a.m. officials said.
The cause of the fire was tied to some recent plumbing work involving soldering of pipes to fix a water leak according to San Diego Fire Rescue spokesperson Maurice Luque.
Debris from the work smoldered overnight, Luque explained. The smoldering either sparked the fire or ignited other wires inside the hotel unit.
Keep up to date on breaking news: Download our improved iPhone app, follow us on Twitter @nbcsandiego, fan us on Facebook, sign up for our breaking news e-mail alerts or text SDBREAKING to 622339 to receive text messages for local breaking news. (For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.)