Fire Damages Fraternity Home Near San Diego State University

Fire damaged a home on College Avenue near Montezuma near the SDSU campus

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    NBC 7's Sherene Tagharobi talks with one man who said the heat from the fire was so intense it melted the blinds in a nearby apartment. (Published Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014)

    San Diego State University students were awakened by an intense fire that damaged a satellite house for a fraternity.

    The fire began just after 5a.m inside a nearby dumpster and then spread to the home at 5077 College Avenue, officials said.

    It appears someone threw cigarette butts or matches into the trash, officials said.

    Five residents of the home and people living in nearby apartments had to be evacuated while San Diego Fire Rescue crews battled the flames.

    Nearby resident Jake Goldsworthy told NBC 7 by the time he got outside of his apartment, the fire appeared to be out of control.

    “The entire side of the backyard on our side was engulfed in flames,” Goldsworthy said.

    He said the heat from the fire was so intense that it melted the blinds in his apartment and cracked the windows.

    Officials say it took 30 firefighters to knock the fire down in 25 minutes.

    Firefighters said the fire didn’t get into the building except for attic so most of damage to home is smoke damage.

    There were approximately a dozen people living inside the home who will be displaced due to the damage, officials said.

    No one was injured.

    Residents will be allowed back into the home to get their belongings but one fire official told NBC 7 “if it were me, I’d be looking for a new place to live.”