San Diego is in for a cold weekend. To help prepare, the city of San Diego announced Friday that emergency cold shelters will open this weekend.
Working with the San Diego Housing Commission, Alpha Project, Isaiah Project, Salvation Army and others, the Homeless Outreach Team has secured both beds and sheltered space where homeless people can lay out their own bedrolls.
Emergency shelter identified for shelter for the nights of Feb. 25-28 include:
1. Alpha Project - Neil Good Day Center 299 17th St.
Beds available = 100 (bring own bedrolls)
2. East Village Community Church 1374 Island Ave.
Beds available = Space for 50 people (bring own bedrolls)
3. Isaiah Project Storage Facility 917 9th Ave.
Beds available = Space for 30 people (bring own bedrolls)
4. Salvation Army 825 7th Ave.
Beds available = 70+ per night
5. God's Extended Hand 1625 Island
Beds available = 36 via lottery every day
6. Rock Church
Funding 5-10 beds at Premier Inn Hotel Mission Valley (for homeless families/elderly).
7. Sarah Frances Hometel 943 10th Ave.
Beds available = 5 beds for seniors
8. San Diego Rescue Mission 101 Elm St.
Beds available = 3 for men, 20 for women
9. Horizon Church 590 Fir St.
Beds available = 25 (bring own bedrolls)
Saturday night and Sunday night only
For the most up-to-date information and availability this weekend, the Homeless Outreach Team can be reached through the SDPD Watch Commander at (619) 531-2205.