Electrical Fire in Home Flares Up Twice

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    An electrical fire inside a vacant home in Golden Hill sparked not once, but twice, after a hotspot flared up hours after the initial blaze. NBC 7's Sherene Tagharobi reports. (Published Friday, Dec 13, 2013)

    An electrical fire broke out at a vacant home in San Diego’s Golden Hill area Friday morning not once, but twice, after a hotspot brought firefighters back to the structure.

    The blaze first sparked around 1 a.m. in the basement of a house located in the 2800-block of C Street, across from 29th Street.

    Firefighters knocked down the fire but by 5:35 a.m., crews were called back to the scene because a hotspot had flared up, leading to a second fire in the home.

    When crews arrived at the scene the second time, they could see smoke coming from the residence. Officials said the second flare-up was minor and it was contained quickly. Police officers were called in to assist with traffic control in the area.

    Investigators believe the second fire started as a result of a hotspot that was still in the nook or cranny of the home’s second story.

    “It just flared up again,” an officer told NBC 7 San Diego.

    Officials said the home was being remodeled and the fires caused significant damage to the structure. They believe the fires were caused by electrical issues.

    No one was injured, as the home was vacant. By 6:30 a.m., fire crews remained on scene mopping up hotspots.
     

    Follow NBC 7 for the latest news, weather, and events: iPad App | iPhone App | Android App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts