Firefighters tackled a blaze that broke out Tuesday morning at a small medical clinic in El Cajon.
A fire sparked at a medical clinic in El Cajon Tuesday morning, officials said.
According to Heartland Fire officials, the blaze began on the roof of a small clinic located at 1329 Main St., near Melody Lane, just before 8 a.m.
Crews from Heartland Fire & Rescue and Cal Fire responded to the scene. Heavy smoke could be seen stemming from the building as 15 firefighters worked to put out the blaze, which was knocked out within 20 minutes.
NBC 7 San Diego spoke to a secretary that works at the clinic who said that when she arrived at work, she smelled smoke. She looked in the storage room and saw smoke and flames.
The secretary, who wished to remain anonymous, said she was overcome by shock and fell down. She then got up and tried to call firefighters using the office phone, but it was already too smoky inside the building so she evacuated.
The woman said she ran outside and called officials on her cell phone to report the fire.
As a result of fire damage, officials said the structure is uninhabitable and is considered a total loss. Fire officials said damage to the structure and its contents is estimated at $200,000.
Officials said the fire was electrical in nature. No one was injured.
The doctor who owns the medical clinic said she plans to rebuild eventually.