A 15-year-old boy died after learning how to make himself pass out from an online video. Lea Sutton reports.
A South Bay teenager died Tuesday when his throat was slashed by a drinking glass.
The 15-year-old boy was with friends inside an Eastlake home when he fell down the stairs around 7 p.m.
Officials said the teenager had been watching online clips of the so-called “pass-out game” before he fell. After imitating what he saw, he lost consciousness and fell face first to the ground.
Police said he landed on a large glass tumbler that broke on impact, causing major injuries to his neck.
Emergency crews took the boy to Rady Children’s Hospital where he later died.
The boy had been trying to make himself pass out or had passed out prior to the fall according to Chula Vista police Capt. Gary Wedge.
There was no sign of alcohol or drugs Wedge said and it doesn’t appear the parents who were home at the time of the incident will face charges.
Officials said the teenager’s death was a tragic accident.