Dryer Fire Destroys Garage, Displaces Family

Crews arrived to the home on Dugan Avenue just after 4 a.m. Friday and found an active fire inside an attached garage

By R. Stickney
|  Friday, Jul 20, 2012  |  Updated 1:47 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Dryer Fire Destroys Garage, Displaces Family

Heartland Fire Department

Images taken inside the fire show the damage caused by too much dryer lint.

advertisement

An early morning fire destroyed a La Mesa family’s garage and left them looking for a place to stay this weekend.

Heartland Fire and Rescue crews arrived to the home on Dugan Avenue just after 4 a.m. Friday and found an active fire inside an attached garage.

Three adults and two children living inside the home had escaped the flames according to La Mesa police officers. Two cats were also rescued from inside the home.

Firefighters kept the fire from moving into the home but as images taken after the flames were extinguished shows extensive damage.

The cause of the fire was too much lint in a dryer kept in the garage according to fire investigators.

The San Diego Chapter of the American Red Cross has been called in to help the family displaced by the fire.

Follow NBCSanDiego for the latest news, weather, and events: iPad App | iPhone App | Android App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out