Couple Nearly Dies in Mobile Home Fire

By Lauren Steussy
|  Monday, Dec 24, 2012  |  Updated 2:47 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Couple Nearly Dies in Mobile Home Fire

advertisement

Firefighters saved two people and a cat Monday afternoon when their mobile home erupted in flames and toxic smoke.

The fire started just after noon Monday at the Sweetwater Lodge Mobile Home Park on Jamacha Road, according to the San Miguel Fire Department.

Neighbors tried to enter the home but were met with a wall of hot, toxic smoke. They called 911 and firefighters promptly responded.

A couple and their cat were inside, either asleep or passed out, when firefighters arrived. Initially, the couple was combative with firefighters and at first refused to be treated. They were eventually taken to the hospital, where they were treated for smoke inhalation. 

The family's cat was also rescued and was in good condition. 

After the fire was knocked down, crews found a pan with food left unattended. They believe the couple left the pan when they went to bed. 

Firefighters believe that if the couple was pulled out much later, they would not have survived. 

Early damage estimates are set at $8,000. 

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out