Candle May Have Sparked Apartment Fire

A friend told NBC 7 the family was using a candle because they don't have electricity

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    A family living without electricity was in danger when a lighted candle started a fire in their Mountain View apartment according to a friend.

    A neighbor told NBC 7 San Diego he could see curtains on fire as flames ripped through the apartment on Oceanview Boulevard just after midnight Wednesday.

    Scary Moments in Mountain View Apartment Fire

    [DGO] Scary Moments in Mountain View Apartment Fire
    Scary moments for people at an apartment complex in Mountain View after a fire breaks out in one of the units. NBC 7's Lea Sutton reports. (Published Wednesday, May 29, 2013)

    “Crazy, I’ll put it that way. Crazy,” said Fred Bonner. “It was blazed everywhere.”

    Bonner said the family told him they were using a lighted candle because they don't have electricity and that they awoke to smoke and the curtains completely ablaze.

    The fire quickly spread from the family’s apartment to an adjacent apartment upstairs and then into the check-cashing business on the first floor.

    Three people were sleeping inside and escaped injury along with their two pets. The person living in the second apartment was not home at the time of the fire.

    Witnesses say firefighters were at the building within minutes and opened up a section of the roof to battle the fire.

    The San Diego chapter of the American Red Cross helped the family find a place to stay for the night.

    Investigators have not released an official cause of the fire.