California's Same-Sex Marriage Ban: By the Numbers
Gay marriage activists rally outside California's Capitol building.
After years of legal battles, the U.S. Supreme Court is set to issue a decision regarding California's ban on same-sex marriage.
Prop 8 Goes Before SCOTUS: Full Coverage | Timeline
A look at voter-approved Prop 8 and the women and men it affects, by the numbers:
- U.S. Supreme Court Justices: 9
- States that have legalized same-sex marriage: 12 plus Washington, D.C.
- Same-sex couples living in California: 98,153
- Same-sex couples raising children: 15,698
- Same-sex couples who identify as spouses: 28,312
- Percent of CA voters who chose “yes” on Prop 8 in 2008: 52.3
- Percent of CA voters who support same-sex marriage in 2013: 61