A person of interest has been identified in the highway shootings that injured one driver and damaged a second car in San Diego, according to officials.
A 21-year-old University of San Diego student was traveling on southbound State Route 163 north of Balboa Avenue April 5 when she was shot in the abdomen.
Two days later a second victim, a 42-year-old Rancho Bernardo man, came forward after hearing a loud noise while driving on the southbound SR-163 near State Route 52 about the same time as the first shooting.
Investigators confirmed there was a bullet hole in his 2010 Volkswagen Passat's left rear window pane, and they concluded the two incidents to be related, CHP said.
On Thursday the California Highway Patrol said they have identified a person of interest but would not release more information until a news conference scheduled for later in the day.
California Highway Patrol officers will release more information during an 11 a.m. news conference today.
NBCSanDiego will stream the news conference live when it begins.
Hours after the first shooting was reported, investigators shut down SR 163 southbound from Interstate 15 to Balboa Avenue and searched the highway for evidence in the case.
About 10 shell casings were collected to the side of the highway between Clairemont Mesa Boulevard and Balboa Avenue.
There were no witnesses and no 911 calls related to this shooting, according to the CHP.
So far, a suspect has not been identified.
Keep up to date on breaking news: Follow us on Twitter @nbcsandiego, fan us on Facebook, sign up for our breaking news e-mail alerts or text SDBREAKING to 622339 to receive text messages for local breaking news. (Standard rates apply)