Plea Deal Reached in "Bomb Factory" Case

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Greg High

    Bomb-making charges were dropped Monday against a man accused of creating what prosecutors described as a "bomb factory" after he pleaded guilty to unrelated charges.

    George Jakubec, 54, pleaded guilty Monday to one count of bank robbery and one count of attempted bank robbery. In exchange, all bomb-related charges were dropped.

    Plea Deal Reached in "Bomb Factory" Case

    [DGO] Plea Deal Reached in "Bomb Factory" Case
    Bomb-making charges were dropped Monday against a man accused of creating what prosecutors described as a "bomb factory" after he pleaded guilty to unrelated charges. George Jakubec, 54, pleaded guilty Monday to one count of bank robbery and one count of attempted bank robbery. In exchange, all bomb-related charges were dropped.

    Explosives were found in the house at 1954 Via Scott in unincorporated Escondido after a gardener was injured in the back yard in an explosion.

    “As part of his guilty plea, Jakubec admitted that he manufactured and possessed the explosives and explosive devices found at his Escondido residence, robbed or attempted to rob four San Diego County Bank of America branches, and carried firearms in furtherance of two of those bank robberies,” said United States Attorney Laura E. Duffy.

    Interior Images of So-Called Bomb Factory

    [DGO] Interior Images of So-Called Bomb Factory
    For the first time, San Diego County Sheriff's Department share images taken by bomb techs from inside the home on Via Scott in unincorporated Escondido - the home containing unusually high levels of explosive materials.

    Jakubec will face a minimum of 30 years in prison, according to the terms of the plea agreement.

    "Jakubec's guilty plea to charges involving a thirty-year mandatory- minimum sentence serves as a reminder that there are very severe consequences for those who commit crimes of violence that threaten the safety of this community," said Duffy.

    Bomb House Clean Up

    [DGO] Bomb House Clean Up
    The clean up will delay some neighbors from going home.

    He agreed to reimburse San Diego County the $541,000 it cost authorities to destroy the home in December.

    Jakubec is scheduled to appear before Judge Burns for sentencing on June 13.
     

    Residents Return Home After Bomb House Burn

    [DGO] Residents Return Home After Bomb House Burn
    On Thursday night, the last of the evacuated Escondido residents were allowed to return home to the area of the so-called bomb factory, burned to the ground last week after highly-explosive materials were found inside.