Beheading Suspects Taken Into Custody

By Eric S. Page
|  Thursday, Jan 6, 2011  |  Updated 3:45 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Beheading Suspects Taken Into Custody

advertisement

Two suspected drug dealers are under arrest for allegedly beheading a man who owed them money.
   
The two men were arrested on Thursday. Baja state prosecutors said the men confessed to killing 30-year old Rames Mendoza.
   
Mendoza was reported missing last week and his severed head was found Monday hanging from a bridge in Tijuana.

Baja California state prosecutor Fermin Gomez said the suspects, Joel Barriga and Alfredo Avila, were captured with seven assault rifles and acknowledged killing the victim.

Cartel-style violence largely abated in Tijuana after the January 2010 capture of Teodoro "El Teo" Garcia Simental, one of two reputed crime bosses allegedly caught up in a bloody turf war in the city across from San Diego.

But Tijuana has seen a series of beheadings, bridge hangings and shootings since President Felipe Calderon visited in October and touted the city as a success story in his four-year-old drug war.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out