Mold Threatens Baby Izaiah's Recovery

The toddler's parents were curious as to why Izaiah kept getting sick

By Tony Shin
|  Wednesday, Sep 28, 2011  |  Updated 6:41 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Just when it appeared things were changing for the positive for a Vista boy paralyzed by a DUI driver, the toddler suffered another setback. As Tony Shin reports, Izaiah Wallis' family must leave their home after the discovery of mold.

Just when it appeared things were changing for the positive for a Vista boy paralyzed by a DUI driver, the toddler suffered another setback. As Tony Shin reports, Izaiah Wallis' family must leave their home after the discovery of mold.

advertisement
Photos and Videos

2-Year-Old Izaiah Finally Comes Home

The toddler's father Jacob Wallis, 21, said he's grateful to have his son at home.

Toddler Run Down by Car Fights to Live

On October 18, police said a teenage boy, plowed his SUV into Izaiah Wallis and his grandfather in the 4100 block of Lake Boulevard in Oceanside. Izaiah was thrown from his stroller and lies in ICU suffering from critical injuries.
More Photos and Videos

Just when it appeared things were changing for the positive for a Vista boy paralyzed by a DUI driver, the toddler suffered another setback.

Izaiah Wallis was riding in his stroller last October when he was struck by a teenage drunk driver. Since then, he's undergone countless surgeries and spent months in intensive care.

Now, his family has been forced from their home because potentially toxic mold has been discovered inside the bathroom area. 

"I was just thinking we have to get everybody out, get Izaiah out of the house real quick, because that stuff is really bad," said the boy's uncle Richard Wallis.

Family members say the mold apparently grew from a small leak near the bathtub.

For the past month and a half his parents wondered why Izaiah had been sick from illnesses including pneumonia.

"What if it was the mold," said his mother Lucy Verde.  "What if he could have been doing a lot better if it wasn't for the mold?"

Health experts say mold spores can lead to health problems including respiratory illnesses.

Izaiah needs a ventilator to help him breathe, and the mold spores could be weakening his already weak immune system, Verde told NBCSanDiego.

The family is now staying at a relative's home as workers clean out the mold which should be gone by this weekend.

A charity event is scheduled Saturday to help Izaiah's family with their medical bills.

The "Celebrity Golf For Izaiah" event will be held at Carmel Mountain Country Club at 8 a.m.

Anyone interested in participating can go to this website to register. 

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out