Just when it appeared things were changing for the positive for a Vista boy paralyzed by a DUI driver, the toddler suffered another setback. As Tony Shin reports, Izaiah Wallis' family must leave their home after the discovery of mold.
Just when it appeared things were changing for the positive for a Vista boy paralyzed by a DUI driver, the toddler suffered another setback.
Izaiah Wallis was riding in his stroller last October when he was struck by a teenage drunk driver. Since then, he's undergone countless surgeries and spent months in intensive care.
Now, his family has been forced from their home because potentially toxic mold has been discovered inside the bathroom area.
"I was just thinking we have to get everybody out, get Izaiah out of the house real quick, because that stuff is really bad," said the boy's uncle Richard Wallis.
Family members say the mold apparently grew from a small leak near the bathtub.
For the past month and a half his parents wondered why Izaiah had been sick from illnesses including pneumonia.
"What if it was the mold," said his mother Lucy Verde. "What if he could have been doing a lot better if it wasn't for the mold?"
Health experts say mold spores can lead to health problems including respiratory illnesses.
Izaiah needs a ventilator to help him breathe, and the mold spores could be weakening his already weak immune system, Verde told NBCSanDiego.
The family is now staying at a relative's home as workers clean out the mold which should be gone by this weekend.
A charity event is scheduled Saturday to help Izaiah's family with their medical bills.
The "Celebrity Golf For Izaiah" event will be held at Carmel Mountain Country Club at 8 a.m.
Anyone interested in participating can go to this website to register.