An apartment complex near San Diego State University was evacuated Friday morning because of a gas leak.
A construction crew working near a three-story apartment complex struck a gas line. According to San Diego firefighters, the crew had the area near 55th and Linda Paseo marked to show where they were supposed to dig but they still hit a two-inch gas line.
The leak was off as of 9 a.m. The smell of gas was so strong, it was nauseating according to a news crew in the area.
Around 15 to 20 people were evacuated around 7:30 a.m., not the 100 originally reported. Residents in the apartments were sent to Peterson Gym. Some of those evacuated include some private residences in the area and some sections of Fraternity Row. School is not is not in session.
San Diego Gas & Electric crews crimped the line that is broken so they can repair it on both ends.
San Diego police officers have blocked off a number of streets in the area for approximately three to six hours. Those streets include the 5500 block of Hardy Avenue, the 5200 block of 55th Street and the 5500 block of Linda Paseo.
Because the gas is able to vent into open air, firefighters aren’t as concerned about an explosion. Still, officers are taking the necessary precautions.