9/11 Events in San Diego
Cazzandra Peterson leaves flowers at Ground Zero in memory of father William Peterson during the 7th annual 9/11 memorial ceremony.
A schedule of events planned for the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
- At 10 a.m. on Sept. 11, fire, police, churches and businesses are encouraged to ring bells or sirens for one full minute as we cease all regular activity and “stop and remember.”
- On the Midway Museum, a ceremony is planned Sunday that will include a reading of the names accompanied by a tolling of the bells, a twin helicopter flyover and a twenty-one gun salute. The ceremony is open to the public. Boarding begins at 1:30 p.m. and the ceremony begins an hour later. Click here for more information.
- “Renew your commitment to freedom” is the call to action of Freedom Walk 2011 scheduled for Sunday at De Anza Cove along Mission Bay. Check in begins at 7:30 a.m. A ceremony will start at 9 a.m. with the walk starting at 10 a.m. Participation is free with free T-shirts available the day of the event while supplies last. Click here to register.
- A family-friendly free event is planned by the City of Escondido in partnership with the California Center for the Arts, Escondido. Activities begin at 5 p.m. Sunday with a concert by the Navy Band Southwest at 6 p.m. in the center's concert hall. The concert will be preceded by a special ceremony featuring Escondido Police and Fire personnel. Leading up to these events, there will be a reading of the names of those who died on 9/11 at the Train Depot in Grape Day Park from 1 to 5 p.m. Free concert tickets are available on a first come, first served basis by calling the Center for the Arts box office at (800) 988-4253.
- Join in a charity run organized to remember the sacrifices of all the Heroes of September 11th. On Sunday, you can participate in the Travis Manion Foundation 9/11 Heroes Run 5K. Cost: $25 per person. Check in at 8:30 a.m. at the Mission Trails Regional Park Equestrian Staging Area.
- Dr. Lloyd Ogilvie, former chaplain of the U.S. Senate provided comfort and spiritual direction to members of Congress in the hours after the events of Sept. 11. He will take part in the 9/11 Memorial Concert at the First Presbyterian Church on Date Street. The event begins at 6 p.m. and includes La Jolla Presbyterian Church and members of the San Diego Symphony as well as Dan Diego Fire Chief Javier Mainar who will give a tribute to the victims and heroes. The concert is free to the public and will be held in the church’s historic sanctuary. Click here for more information.
- The City of Oceanside Neighborhood Services, “The Friends of Oceanside Parks”, Oceanside Police Department, Oceanside Fire Department and Mainstreet Oceanside will be hosting a free event at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Oceanside Pier Amphitheater, located at 200 South The Strand. Scout troops will be distributing free U.S. flags to the first 1,000 attendees.
- The Carlsbad Fire Department conducts a September 11 memorial at Fire Station 5 each year to remember all those that lost their lives and show respect to the 343 firefighters who made the ultimate sacrifice on that day.
- The City of Coronado is planning a special patriotic tribute to mark the 10th anniversary of 9/11 as part of its Concert in the Park series. The event begins at 5 p.m. in Spreckels Park between Orange Ave and C Ave, 6th and 7th Streets. Guests should plan on arriving around 4 p.m. and bring blankets and/or chairs.
If you community event is not listed, let us know. Comment below, via Twitter @nbcsandiego or add your comment to our Facebook page.