New and troubling information was released late Monday involving the kidnapping of a 2-year-old toddler from her home in 4 S Ranch.
A temporary restraining order was filed against the suspect arrested in the kidnapping but was apparently never served.
The toddler’s mother and grandfather reported the girl missing just before 6 p.m. Sunday from the family’s apartment at 17161 Alva Road in 4S Ranch, west of Rancho Bernardo.
The child was returned safely about two hours later but the man she was with, 35-year-old Douglas Schwerdt, was arrested and accused of felony kidnapping and burglary.
Sheriff's investigators say he took the two year old girl who at the time was being watched by her grandfather.
Apparently Schwerdt had earlier asked permission to take the child on a hike. The girl's mother had refused his request, deputies said.
Meanwhile, NBCSanDiego has learned a temporary restraining order was filed in January against Schwerdt by a woman matching the description of the 2-year old's mother.
In the request, the woman claimed "we used to have a friendly relationship, but his behavior has become increasingly erratic" and "he threatens me and my family and I am not sure what he is capable of."
It turns out, the restraining order was granted, but never served.
"It was not served and I do not know why it was not. I could have been a myriad of reasons, but it was there, it has since expired," said Jan Caldwell with San Diego County Sheriff's Dept.
Sheriff's investigators characterize the relationship between the child's mother and the suspect as a "non-dating relationship."
Schwerdt is currently in custody with a bail set at $100,000.
Keep up to date on breaking news: Download our improved iPhone app, follow us on Twitter @nbcsandiego, fan us on Facebook, sign up for our breaking news e-mail alerts or text SDBREAKING to 622339 to receive text messages for local breaking news. (For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.)