Family of 4 Treated for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Two children, two adults taken to hospital after complaining of flu-like symptoms

By Lauren Steussy
|  Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013  |  Updated 5:04 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Tankless Water Heater Sickens Family

advertisement

A family of four in Imperial Beach was transported to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning Monday afternoon, fire department authorities said.

The patients complained of flu-like symptoms just after noon in the 900 block of Cypress Avenue Monday.

Officials with the San Diego Fire Department tested the carbon monoxide levels in the house and found an excessive amount of the gas. They determined the four patients were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. 

The family, which consisted of two children and two adults, was treated at the UCSD Medical Center. 

“CO poisoning is a real serious thing,” said SDPD Capt. John French. “It can’t be detected unless you have a detector in your house. So this is a good time to make sure you have a detector and it’s working.”

SDG&E is working to determine the source of the excessive carbon monoxide levels. French would not elaborate further on how the carbon monoxide levels got to such a dangerous level. 

On Tuesday, Imperial Beach's fire inspector Tom Santos said the source of the carbon monoxide was a tankless water heater. 

According to the Centers for Disease Control, carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death. Symptoms of poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. 

This story was originally published on Monday January 14.  

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out