The presents are unwrapped, the carols have been sung, the Chargers have played and your needles are probably dropping.
It might be time to take down your Christmas tree -- and recycle it.
"Green waste, such as yard clippings and other organic materials, including Christmas trees, have made up over 20 percent of the material buried in the landfill. By recycling their trees, residents help reduce the amount of material in the landfill and give holiday trees a second life as compost, mulch or wood chips," said director of the Environmental Services Department Chris Gonaver.
Residents can begin dropping off their trees at 16 locations around San Diego for recycling.
- 1. Carmel Valley: Carmel Valley Recreation Center, 3777 Townsgate Drive, lower parking lot
- 2. Encanto: Cielo Drive at Woodman Street
- 3. Golden Hill: Golden Hill Recreation Center, 2600 Golf Course Drive
- 4. La Jolla: Kate Sessions Memorial Park, Soledad Road and Loring Street
- 5. Logan Heights: Memorial Recreation Center, 2902 Marcy Avenue
- 6. Miramar: Miramar Landfill and Greenery, Convoy Street north of Highway 52
- 7. Mission Bay: Sea World Drive at Pacific Highway
- 8. Oak ParkChollas Lake, 6350 College Grove Drive, in Gloria's Mesa parking lot
- 9. Ocean Beach: Robb Athletic Field Recreation Center, 2525 Bacon Street
- 10. Otay Mesa/Nestor: Montgomery Waller Community Park (upper and lower-west parking lots)
- 11. Rancho Bernardo: Rancho Bernardo Recreation Center, 18448 W. Bernardo Drive
- 12. Rancho Penasquitos: Canyonside Recreation Center, 12350 Black Mountain Road
- 13. San Diego State University: Parking Lot D off Alvarado Road
- 14. Scripps Ranch: Scripps Ranch Recreation Center, 11454 Blue Cypress Drive
- 15. Tierrasanta: De Portola Middle School, 11010 Clairemont Mesa Boulevard
- 16. University City: Swanson Pool, 3585 Governor Drive
Before depositing trees, all tree stands, lights, ornaments and other tree decorations must be removed. Flocked trees (fake snow) are also accepted.
Residents who currently receive curbside yard waste recycling collection can also recycle trees through the curbside collection program by placing trees at the curb with the regular yard waste recycling.
Residents who wish to recycle trees through the curbside recycling program are required to remove all non-recyclable materials such as tinsel, ornaments and lights before placing trees at the curb next to yard waste collection containers.