One of San Diego’s up and coming neighborhoods is launching a community version of the Monopoly game to raise money for a new landmark sign.
The game, called East Village-Opoly, is selling for $40 at many downtown businesses. It’s intended to raise $500,000 for an East Village landmark sign -- similar to those seen in Hillcrest, North Park, University Heights and Kensington neighborhoods.
On the community’s website, organizers said they hoped to raise $250,000 by Dec. 31.
East Village, which sits east of the Gaslamp Quarter in downtown San Diego, encompasses 130 blocks and is the city’s most rapidly developing neighborhood. It’s home to Petco Park and San Diego’s central library.
Organizers hope to sell 1,000 East Village-Opoly board games by the end of the year.
This is where you can purchase East Village-Opoly:
- MAK Cleaners, 1031 Market St.
- The District, 1021 Market St.
- The Parlour, 550 Park Blvd.
- EVA Office at Moniker Warehouse, 705 16th St., Suite 210-B
- Style Lounge Salon, 540 6th Ave.
- The UPS Store, 1041 Market St.
- Robert Weichelt’s office, 1606 G St.
- City Dog, 550 Park Blvd.