Parking rates along the San Diego Bay waterfront will soon change, based on seasonal demand.
The changes, effective July 1, will raise, decrease or keep certain rates the same, depending on the location, according to the Port of San Diego, which controls the rates.
The move is an effort to boost parking space turnover in the area, according to a release.
The following changes will take effect next month:
- Spanish Landing (219 spaces): rates will decrease from $1.75 to $1.00 an hour. The area will be enforced seven days a week from 6 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- North Embarcadero: rates will increase from $1.75 to $2.50 an hour. The area includes the Crescent meters across from Solar Turbines to just northwest of Grape Street, along the Embarcadero waterfront, to the meters around and behind Ruocco Park, including inside Tuna Harbor. The area will be enforced seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Embarcadero Marine Parks North and South: rates will remain at $1.75 an hour. Enforcement will continue seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. The parks are open from 6 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- Shelter Island (264 meters): rates will remain at $1.25 an hour. Enforcement will continue seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. There are more than 1,000 free parking spaces on Shelter that will remain free.
Parking services support other public services, such as the Port's 22 public parks, Harbor Police law enforcement and more.
The Port of San Diego recommends the following long-term options for those looking to stay in the area for a full day.
- Port of San Diego Waterfront Shuttle – park at either the Convention Center or Hilton Bayfront parking garages, then ride the Waterfront Shuttle for $1. Visit the Port of San Diego website for details.
- B Street Pier parking lot
- Convention Center parking garage
- Harbor Island parking lot (adjacent to the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina)
- Hilton Bayfront Hotel parking garage
- Navy Pier parking lot (next to the USS Midway Museum)
- Seaport Village/Headquarters
- Spring Hill Suites Hotel (Lane Field)
- Wyndham Bayfront Hotel
- County of San Diego Kettner/Cedar Street parking garage (evenings and weekends)
- County of San Diego Waterfront Park underground parking garage (evenings and weekends)
Once the summer season ends, Port officials will review statistics from the season, including occupancy levels and demand at various locations, to see if future changes need to be made.
All metered and pay station parking will be free on Independence Day (July 4) and Labor Day (Sept. 3).