"Glee" actor Cory Monteith died of a mixed drug toxicity involving heroin and alcohol, according to Canadian authorities.
The British Columbia Coroners Service issued a statement Tuesday saying that post-mortem testing on Monteith included an autopsy and toxicological analysis, and that no other details were available at this time.
"There is no evidence to suggest that this is anything other than a most sad and tragic accident," Coroner Barbara McLintock said in a video released by the BC Coroner's service (see below).
In the video statement McLintock goes on to offer "heartfelt condolences" to all of Monteith's family and friends. The Coroner's office confirmed Monday that they were fast-tracking the autopsy and toxicological analysis due to the intense public interest in the case.
Monteith, 31, was found dead in his room at the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel in Vancouver on Saturday after missing his scheduled checkout time.
The actor went out on Friday night with a male friend and two female friends but returned to his hotel room alone around 2:15 a.m., Vancouver police Constable Brian Montague said at a press conference Tuesday afternoon.
"This was an overdose and a tragic accident," Montague said, adding, "Our belief is that when he took the heroin he was alone." He went on to say that there was evidence in the room that was consistent with a drug overdose but did not provide details of exactly what was found at the scene.
Monteith's whereabouts Friday evening were also not disclosed because "there's nothing to suggest that that has anything to do with our investigation," Montague said. Police believe the actor had been dead for several hours when he was found.
The investigation into this death by the BC Coroners Service is continuing and a full Coroner's Report will be issued once the case is concluded.
Monteith admitted himself to a treatment facility in April for substance addiction and asked for privacy as he took steps toward recovery, a representative said. Lea Michele, Monteith's "Glee" co-star and real-life girlfriend, told People magazine at the time that she loved and supported him and was proud he was seeking help.
It was not Monteith's first time in rehab. He received treatment when he was 19 and had previously talked about his addiction struggles, saying he had a serious problem and took just "anything and everything."
He told Parade magazine in 2011 that he was "lucky to be alive."
Representatives issued a statement on Michele's behalf Tuesday afternoon:
“Lea is deeply grateful for all the love and support she’s received from family, friends, and fans. Since Cory’s passing, Lea has been grieving alongside his family and making appropriate arrangements with them. They are supporting each other as they endure this profound loss together. We continue to ask the media to respect the privacy of Lea and Cory’s family.”
Monteith was due to begin working on the fifth season of "Glee" in two weeks. How his absence will be handled in the Fox Network show about a high school singing club has yet to be announced.