In a statement exclusive to Access, the former couple blasted a New York Post story alleging that a "dysfunctional family getaway" with Christie preceded Alexa Ray's apparent suicide attempt over the weekend.
"Every parent can imagine the pain and anguish we face as parents of a daughter who is working to recover from the dangerous actions she took while suffering a devastating heartbreak," they began in the statement. "As much as we hate dignifying tabloid stories with a response, we feel we must set the record straight to protect our family.
"The story that ran in the New York Post on December 8th, and has been subsequently spread across the Internet, is filled with vicious lies and attempts to smear our character and that of our beloved daughter," they continued.
They then attacked the credibility of the Post.
"We ask the public and legitimate media outlets to please 'consider the source' and to not further exacerbate our daughter's situation by repeating and legitimizing these false reports," they concluded.
As previously reported, a female caller, believed to be Alexa Ray herself, told a 911 dispatcher over the weekend she "took eight pills," and also said she wanted "to die," an FDNY spokesperson told Access on Monday. Alexa landed in the hospital on Saturday afternoon and was released later that evening.
Related Content from AccessHollywood.com:
VIEW THE PHOTOS: Rock Stars
PLAY IT NOW: Alexa Ray Joel's Attempted Suicide?
PLAY IT NOW: Christie Brinkley & Alexa Ray Joel Talk Billy Joel Separation