Each month I try and highlight some of my favorite shows, so this is a far-from-complete list of what is happening around town -- just some of my favorites. Some you would expect, some maybe you wouldn't, I like to surprise people. These days the choices are endless and it can even get a bit overwhelming, so take a deep breath, get in your car and drive to any one of our fine music venues or concert halls, like these below:
- March 4: Marcus Foster @ Casbah
Fans of the Twilight saga may recognize this artist, although I hear he doesn't perform the song people want to hear.
- March 6: The Stone Foxes @ Casbah
Rock & roll!, Loud, hard, fast and dirty!
- March 7: Johnny Gill @ Sycuan Live & Up Close
New Jack Swinger and later member of New Edition.
- March 7: Flogging Molly @ House of Blues
Celtic punk band on their 9th Annual Green 17 Tour!
- March 8: Why? @ The Irenic
Alternative, indie and hip-hop all rolled into one.
- March 8: Stephen Lynch @ House of Blues
Musician and comedian who is pretty darn funny.
- March 9: Bad Religion and Against Me! @ SOMA
Punk rockers who believe in what they say!
- March 9: Cradle of Filth @ House of Blues
UK black metal so don't be scared.
- March 9: Darwin Deez @ Casbah
Indie alternative artist with interesting hair..
- March 9: El Vez Punk Rock Revue @ Casbah
The Mi Punk Rock Revue with local rockers the Schitzophonics backing up the one and only Mexican Elvis.
- March 9: Soft White Sixties and Nervous Wreckords @ The Griffin
A fun night of rock & roll will be had.
- March 12: Frightened Rabbit @ Belly Up Tavern
Scottish alt-rock band with a touch of folk.
- March 13: Alicia Keys @ Valley View Casino Center
This girl is on fire!
- March 17: Greensky Bluegrass @ Porter's Pub (UCSD)
Bluegrass band from Kalamazoo, Mich. Enough said.
- March 17: Shamrock Festival with the Young Dubliners and more @ Gaslamp Quarter
Gaslamp Quarter St. Patrick's Day party.
- March 18: Imagine Dragons and Atlas Genius @ House of Blues
Two alt-rockers that own the radio airwaves right now.
- March 19: Matt Costa @ Casbah
Singer/songwriter on Brushfire Records.
- March 19: The Joy Formidable @ Belly Up Tavern
Welsh alternative rock band that also owns the radio airwaves right now.
- March 21: Boy King and Deadly Birds sponsored by 619 Vodka @ Maryjane's Underground inside Hard Rock Hotel
- March 21: Christopher Owens formerly of Girls @ The Irenic
Dissolved his old band Girls and is now just himself.
- March 21: Kenny Rogers @ Belly Up Tavern
- March 21: Schematic and Asker @ The Griffin
Indie pop rock bands share the bill.
- March 22: Bob Schneider @ Belly Up Tavern
Pop folk country artist who once dated Sandra Bullock.
- March 22 & 23: Kenny G @ Copley Symphony Hall
The King of Smooth Jazz!
- March 22-23: Pennywise and Anti-Flag @ House of Blues
Pennywise returns with all original members celebrating 25 years as a band.
- March 23-24: The Black Lips @ Casbah
Garage Punk rockers play two nights at the Casbah and it will be beer-soaked.
- March 24: Gordon Lightfoot @ Belly Up Tavern
Folk rock legend. Folk yeah!
- March 25: Anthrax and Exodus @ House of Blues
The Metal Alliance Tour with the thrash metal kings.
- March 26: Jeff Mangum @ Spreckels Theater
Neutral Milk Hotel frontman returns from the shadows.
- March 28: SoundDiego LIVE sponsored by Jack Daniels with Family Wagon and Crash & The Burns @ El Dorado
- March 28: Tiger Army @ House of Blues
Psychobilly rock band.
- March 28: Daedelus @ Casbah
DJ and Producer on the Ninja Tune label.
- March 28: Sister Sparrow & the Dirty Birds @ The Griffin
Rock, soul and blues band from NYC.
- March 28: Brandy @ Sycuan Live & Up Close
Actress and R&B singer.
- March 29: Caveman @ Casbah
Melodies that are pretty from this indie pop outfit.
- March 29: MURS @ Porter's Pub (UCSD)
Hip-hopper and former member of Living Legends.
- March 29: Living Color @ Belly Up Tavern
25th anniversary tour to celebrate the release of the album that broke the band, VIVID.
- March 29: Tech N9ne @ House of Blues
Rap and hip-hop.
- March 30-31: The Airborne Toxic Event @ House of Blues
Alternative indie rock band that is featured on the radio quite frequently these days.
- March 30: Veronica Falls @ Casbah
Indie Pop Rock band from the U.K.
- March 30: Ryan Leslie @ Porter's Pub (UCSD)
R&B, neo-soul and hip-hop artist.
- March 31: Iceage @ Casbah
Post-punk rock band from Denmark that will pummel your ears.
That 's all she wrote, or all I wrote anyway. It's just a synopsis, a tiny snapshot of what is going on. I kid about a few of the listings, since I doubt you will see me at Kenny G, but I might go see Gordon Lightfoot, so we will see. Recently somebody came up and introduced themselves to me at a show all because I put that request out on the airwaves and it made my night. So with that being said, I want to throw that out to any readers of this: I would love to meet you, so please come up and say hello if you see me at a show. Good night and good rocking!
Tim Pyles, a longtime local who grew up in La Jolla, is the unofficial mayor of local music who hosts The Local 94/9 via FM94/9 every Sunday from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. He also books local acts at the Casbah, hosts the weekly Anti-Monday League, books/hosts the monthly Maryjane's Underground at the House Of Blues and is an entertainment writer for Pacific San Diego Magazine. Check out his website thelocalpyle.com and and follow him on Twitter @thelocalpyle. You can reach him directly here firstname.lastname@example.org