Devotchka will be at the Tour de Fat and, later on Saturday, at the Casbah.
This weekend is jam-packed with so many great events and shows that I can't pick just one. Fortunately, I don't have to, and neither do you, because if your day is wide open, you could start with the Tour de Fat at Golden Hill Park, drop by the Adams Avenue Street Fair and still have time to see Devotchka live at the Casbah. Of course, if you're less ambitious, any one of these makes for a great activity.
The Tour de Fat is an annual event hosted by New Belgium, the makers of Fat Tire Beer. The family-friendly day kicks off with morning registration (free!) of their bicycle parade, which encourages bikes of all varieties, from tricycles to beach cruisers, mountain bikes to unicycles. After the leisurely all-levels-welcome parade, there's music in the park capped off by a free concert from Devotchka. When all of this wraps around 5 p.m., head over to Normal Heights, where you'll see blues, rock, Americana, acoustic and world-music performances from locals and a few touring acts for good measure. This, too, is free and all ages, though there will certainly be beer gardens and the Adams Avenue Beer Taste if you purchase an extra ticket. By sundown, you'll want to get to the Casbah for a full set from Devotchka. Though they're playing for free in the daytime, it is with a wine bottle in hand and a lit-up tuba onstage that this band really shines.
Saturday, Sept. 2:
- Adams Avenue Street Fair, feat. Strawberry Alarm Clock, Kofi Baker's Cream Experience, Kevin Martin, the Paladins, Junior Watson, Plena Libre, FMera, Maren Parusel, Travis Larson Band, Bosen & Suede, Dave Martone, Raspin, Stephen Rey & the Sex Trash, Red Lotus Revue, Charlie Chavez y Su Afro-Truko, Mother Belle, Hargo, Chuck Cannon, Josh Damigo, Patrick Norton, Kelsea Rae Little, Sara Petite & the Sugar Daddys, Blues Lyne, Stevie & the Hi-Stax, the Lucky Lonely, Tropical Popsicle, Chris Byerly, Beehive, Low Volts, Bishop John W Haynes & Change, Rhythmic Madness, Machines Learning, Hills Like Elephants, Robin Henkel, Jack Tempchin, Tolan Shaw, Kenny Eng, El Monte Slim, Michele Lundeen & Blues Streak, Castillo, Anthony Mendez, the Darrows, Breanna Lynn, Allice Wallace, the Saltlickers, Stoney B Blues Band, the Jade Element, Catherine Denise, the Touchies, Chad Taggert, Broni, Country Rockin Rebels, Wyatt Lowe & the Young Bloods, Zimbeat, Leanna May & the Matadors @ Adams Avenue (between 33rd and 35th, free, All Ages, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.)
- Tour De Fat, featuring Devotchka, Yo-Yo People, Sssnakenstein and an all-ages bike parade @ Golden Hill Park (11am- Bike Parade- 6pm De Finale. Free, All Ages. Donations benefit San Diego County Bicycle Coalition and San Diego Mountain Bike Association
- Wings, Wheels, & Warriors 2nd Annual Poker Run and BBQ @ Escondido American Legion to Biggs Harley Davidson, San Marcos 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- BeachFest 2012, featuring Breakdown, Fractal Pterodactyl, Emergency Shut Off, Fly By Might, Zone of the Interior, An Honest Lie, Ladies Love Outlaws, the Finns @ Oceanside Pier Amphitheatre (Free, 12-5 p.m.)
- Devotchka @ Casbah
- Communist Daughter, the Palace Ballroom, Tonto @ Soda Bar
- Casbah presents the Lumineers, Bad Weather California @ House of Blues (sold out)
- Jason Mraz, Christina Perri @ Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre
- Crosby Stills & Nash @ Humphreys Concerts By the Bay (sold out)
- The Greyboy Allstars, Montalban Quintet, DH Greyboy @ Belly Up
- Behind the Wagon, Nick Bone, the Big Scene @ Bar Pink
- Pleasure Fix, Ancient Animals, Takahashi @ Tin Can
- The Heartbeat Trail, Uniform Victor @ Eleven (5 p.m.)
- The Love Lashes, Stalins of Sound, Cedar Fire @ Eleven (9 p.m.)
- Alarms @ The Shakedown
- 5th Saturday DJ Dane Party @ Whistle Stop
- Steve EDM @ Ruby Room
- Bad Azz @ The Griffin
- Hollywood Hate (ex-members of Verbal Abuse, Electric Frankenstein, Total Chaos, UXA), Neverland Ranch Hands, Witch @ Tower Bar
- Godhammered, Circle 7, Sunlit Ether, Lessons From Zeke, As Obscure As Enoch @ Brick By Brick
- Cubensis, Moonalice @ Winston's
- Benefit for the Heart of the Sea Foundation: Tribal Theory, the Codi Jordan Band: @ 710 Beach Club
- Mercedes Moore Band @ Marble Room
- Rising Star @ Humphreys Backstage Lounge
- Pennies for Penny Fundraiser @ Flying Elephant
- Kenny Lattimore @ Anthology (7:30 p.m., 9:30 p.m.)
- Footloose the Musical @ Birch North Park Theatre
- DJ Tonka McMasterson @ Bluefoot
- Drinking Cowboy Band, DJ Chelu @ Gallagher's
- Dirty Talk and Boys & Girls, with Adam Salter, Gabe Vega @ El Dorado
- LED presents Stafford Brothers, FYOR @ Voyeur
- ELEV8, Grouch @ Spin
- DJ Cobra @ Fluxx
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.