For an indie-rock lover, tonight is torture. Check out Local Natives at the Belly Up or Film School at the Casbah? If you don't already have a Belly Up ticket, however, your choice is easy. because that show is sold out. I've seen Local Natives several times, including in empty rooms where they played to 15 people, and it's nice to see them getting their due in sold-out rooms (not to mention huge festivals across the planet).
Film School, on the other hand, has been under the radar for a couple of years, and it's about time they resurface. With the band signing on local record label Hi-Speed Soul and one of the members relocating to San Diego after a recent wedding, let's hope this is just the first of many Film School shows in San Diego.
Still, if you're not into indie rock and you would rather end your weekend with some booty shaking, you can check out Ratatat over at the House of Blues or DJ Benny Benassi will be on the decks at On Broadway as he wraps up a nine-day bicycle tour from San Francisco.
Sunday, Sept. 19:
- Artwalk By the Bay, featuring Chuck Schiele and the Science of Soul, the Heavy Guilt, Steph Johnson, San Diego Symphony, Robin Henkel @ Hilton Bayfront
- Film School, d/wolves, Dreamtiger, the Mashtis @ Casbah
- Casbah presents Local Natives, the Love Language, Union Line @ Belly Up (sold out)
- Casbah presents Ratatat, DOM, Bobby Birdman @ House of Blues
- MEX @ Eleven (matinee show, 3 p.m. with BBQ!)
- Local Showcase featuring Hershel Abram, Lady X, Double Dragon @ Sound Wave
- The Bloodflowers @ Tower Bar
- Ty Segall, Tyvek, the Northern Tigers @ Soda Bar
- San Diego Media Arts Center Fundraiser @ El Dorado
- Microtia, Ghost Come Back, Death on Mars @ Ruby Room
- Benny Benassi @ On Broadway
- TRC Soundsystem @ O'Connell's
- Eben Brooks, Heroes Against Heroes @ Lestat's
- Jose Sinatra's OB-O-ke @ Winston's
- Stelita @ Humphreys Backstage Lounge Brunch (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
- Reggie Smith @ Humphreys Backstage Lounge (8 p.m.)
- NBC's "Last Comic Standing" Live Tour @ Humphreys Concerts By the Bay
- Eliza Gilkyson @ AMSD (Acoustic Music San Diego)
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events, and sometimes whatever creeps into her head on her music blog San Diego: Dialed In. Check it for even more listings. Follow her updates at twitter.com/sddialedin or submit your music listings.