It's time to feel old when the adorable brothers who brought you "mmmBop" are all grown up ... and married! With children!
If you check out these listings every day and feel like you can't really experience music in San Diego because the good stuff happens at night, then this might be your lucky month, because this city is also chock-full of daytime festivals and shows. During the day, you can swing by the Hilton Bayfront for Artwalk By the Bay and catch some of San Diego's finest at this free event or head down to the Eastlake Design District for the South County Music & Arts Festival. Hailing from Chula Vista, I would've never have called it "South County," but their intentions are good, and they have a solid lineup that even includes bands with friends of mine from Hilltop High School -- this festival is surely keeping it local.
By the afternoon, you can swing by the Casbah for an early show with Southern Culture on the Skids or head up to Hensley's Flying Elephant for the first of two shows with Black Pacific, fronted by ex-Pennywise singer Jim Lindberg. The band's debut record dropped this week, and Lindberg is about as commanding of a crowd as a singer can be.
By nightfall, you can check out the Walkmen up at the Belly Up, the Spells over at Eleven, Get Back Loretta at the Soda Bar or relive your "mmmBop" years as you check out a grown up Hanson at the the House of Blues.
Saturday, September 18:
- Artwalk By the Bay, featuring the Heavy Guilt, Steph Johnson, Josh Damigo, Neon Cough, Wendy Bailey and True Stories, Justin James @ Hilton Bayfront
- Southern Culture on the Skids, the Fink Bombs, Low Volts @ Casbah (doors open at 6:30 p.m.)
- Booty Bassment Eight-Year Anniversary, featuring Rob and Dmitri, Jeff Graves, Dan Sant @ Casbah
- Casbah presents the Walkmen, Japandroids, Dan Mangan @ Belly Up
- South County Music & Arts Festival, featuring Quino (Big Mountain), Roots Covenant, Montecristo, Azucar, Stranger, Southtown Generals, Riverbottom Rockers, Bredren, Revival and others @ Eastlake Design District
- The Black Pacific (Jim Lindberg, ex-Pennywise) @ Hensley's Flying Elephant (two shows; all ages, 6 p.m.m, 21-plus at 9 p.m.)
- Paramore, Tegan & Sara @ Viejas Arena, SDSU
- Oktoberfest, featuring Z-Band @ Mile High Ballroom (3038 Udall, San Diego)
- Harow, Violent Pacifist, Black Milk @ Beauty Bar
- Billy Midnite, Travel By Sea, the Shade @ Tin Can
- Get Back Loretta, Stripes and Lines, Mini Mansions @ Soda Bar
- Quivver, Stircrazy, Bacon Bits @ U-31
- The Spells @ Eleven
- Hodad's Audio Overload, featuring Behind the Wagon, DPI, Downspell, Throatcloser, Moment of Silence, Gross Negligence, Awaiting Samsara, Imbalanced@ O'Connell's (6 p.m.)
- SuperKaraoke, featuring Inner Voyage Music, hosted by Aaron Thompson, Cheyenne Giles @ Analog
- Hanson, A Rocket to the Moon @ House of Blues
- Alison Lonsdale @ Lestat's (6-8 p.m.)
- Haley Plotnick, Lakin, Nikki Lang @ Lestat's
- The Browne Sisters, George Cavanaugh @ San Dieguito Methodist Church Hall
- Pato Banton, Without Papers, Rough and Steady @ Brick By Brick
- Uproar Fest, featuring Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold @ Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre
- Liquid Foundation Benefit, featuring Madd Traffic, Uncle Junkie, Soul to Soul, Death on Wednesday @ 710 Beach Club
- Leperkhanz, DJR2 @ Gallagher's
- The Mayors of Sexytown, Dr. Skavra 2Tone Collective, the Demeanors, Ottly Mercer, Sherm the Band @ Soma
- The Afterparty (glam rock and metal) @ Winston's
- AIDS Walk benefit, featuring Roxy Blue and the Handful, Rhythm and the Method, Joshua Napier, Joalby & Esjay, DJ Marcel Hetu @ Dreamstreet
- Fred Benedetti and George Svoboda @ Dizzy's (San Diego Wine and Culinary Center)
- Kelly Tshritter and Sir Touby @ Humphreys Backstage Lounge (5-7 p.m.)
- Rising Star @ Humphreys Backstage Lounge (9:30 p.m.)
- Phil Perry @ Anthology (early show 7:30 p.m.; late show 9:30 p.m.)
- Felix Cartal, Gina Turner, Bubblegum Sci-Fi @ Voyeur
- Little River Band @ Ramona Mainstage
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events, and sometimes whatever creeps into her head on her music blog San Diego: Dialed In. Check it for even more listings. Follow her updates at twitter.com/sddialedin or submit your music listings.