It might seem that the majority of the shows that are booked at the Casbah are indie-rockers or rock bands, but the venue definitely gets its share of electronic, dance, twang and, in cases like Wednesday, hip-hop.
Even if you haven't seen or heard of Shabazz Palaces, the Seattle collective led by Ishmael Butler, you might recognize his voice from when he was a key member of Digable Planets. It also isn't widely known that Ishmael is the half-brother of local musician Al Howard (the Heavy Guilt, the Black Sands) since even they weren't aware of their blood ties until they were young adults.
Ruslan will perform at the Casbah too, and you might be familiar with him from his local collective, the Breax. This is a night of positive hip-hop with intelligent lyrics that is definitely worth checking out.
Over at the Soda Bar, Trust performs with the return of DZ Deathrays, who left everyone talking after their recent show with Bass Drum of Death. A good night, indeed.
Wednesday, September 12:
- Shabazz Palaces, Ruslan, DJ Rek @ Casbah
- Trust, DZ Deathrays, Light Vision @ Soda Bar
- Los Straitjackets featuring Daddy-O Grande, Big Sandy and His Fly- Rite Boys @ Belly Up
- Erleen Nada, Dynasty Electric, Bonsoir @ Tin Can
- Tori Rogg, Casey Chisolm, guests @ Eleven
- Krass Bros. @ Bar Pink
- Christian Scott Benefiting Jazz 88.3 @ Anthology
- Broni, Kelsea Little, Saba @ Lestat's
- Three Chord Justice, Ralph Jug & the Deadline Jitters @ The Griffin
- Vanja James @ Riviera Supper Club
- Dizzyfunk Launch Party featuring Krueger, Andre Power, Dink Squama @ Ruby Room
- Club Kingston presents Project Out of Bounds, DJ Carlos Culture @ Winston's
- Funk & Oldies with DJs Saul Q, Kid Wonder, Beto Perez @ El Dorado
- Slim Man @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Gilbert Castellanos with the New Latin Jazz Quintet @ El Camino
- Stoney B. Blues @ Patrick's Gaslamp Club
- Brixton Beat @ Whistle Stop
- Wednesday Shakedown @ Henry's Pub
- Lady Dottie & the Diamonds @ Gallagher's Irish Pub
- Firehouse Swing Night @ Queen Bee's
- Karaoke @ Chico Club
- Sue Palmer @ Croce's
- Wreck Shop Wednesday @ The Office
- Taryn Donath @ Marble Room
- Laguna @ McP's Irish Pub
- The All Stars @ Coyote Bar & Grill
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.