About a year ago, I did an interview on SoundDiego TV. My proud parents had set the DVR to record my first such interview. Since I was out working the night it aired, I missed seeing the episode, so I asked my parents how it went, and my mom said, "It was pretty good, but who was that other band on the show? They are so good!" That band was Calexico, and I was pleased that my mom appreciated the sort of desert-tinged Americana that the band has mastered after so many years. I've had the good fortune of seeing the band a handful of times, and they always present an interesting twist on their own music, which makes every show a special one. Head up to the Belly Up on Saturday and you'll be in for a treat.
Sunday, October 6:
- Calexico, Sallie Ford, Sound Outside @ Belly Up
- New Mexico, Hills Like Elephants, Drew Andrews, Jeans Wilder @ Casbah
- Anberlin, the Maine, Lydia, From Indian Lakes @ SOMA
- Allison Adams Tucker, Tripp Sprague, Duncan Moore, Danny Gee @ San Diego Jet Ski Rentals
- Travis, Luke Rathborne @ House of Blues
- Tiger & Woods @ El Dorado
- Lil Debbie -- The Queen "D" Tour @ Porter's Pub
- Robin Henkel, Bayou Brothers @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Aubryn, On Fifth @ Lestats
- Orange Goblin, Holy Grail, Lazerwulf, Ape Machine @ Soda Bar
- The Jug Head Mob (6:30 p.m.), Jose Sinatra hosts O.B.-o-ke @ Winstons
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.