Israel's Monotonix can't be confined to a stage and move their performance all over the bar whenever they perform.
Some bands can't be held by standard conventions. Who needs a stage when you're the Israeli band Monotonix? To call the band's performances a spectacle is an understatement. They start onstage like most bands, but a couple songs in, and the band is moving all of their gear, playing on the bar, at the sound board, or being held up above the crowd as they rock out. The first time I saw Monotix, I had no idea what to expect, now I know that they shouldn't be missed if you like the unexpected in your concertgoing experience.
Of course, it is actually Halloween, so there's one more night to costume up, and tonight has more offerings than a typical Sunday, with great shows all over town at places like the House of Blues, the Whistle Stop, or Eleven, though Transfer will definitely be a hot ticket in the small bar.
Sunday, October 31:
- Monotonix, the Burning of Rome, Ghetto Blaster, Weatherbox @ Casbah
- Casbah Presents Bloody Beetroots Death Crew 77, Deth Hertz, Brazzabelle @ House of Blues (18 and up, show at 8 p.m.)
- Zombie Surf Camp (CD release) @ Lou's Records (6 p.m., free, all ages, costume contest)
- '80s Heat presents Halloween Heat. featuring Freeze Frame @ Belly Up
- Halloween Party with the Dabbers & Street of Little Girls @ Whistle Stop
- Halloween Party with Transfer, Bella Novella, Mad Mummies @ Eleven
- Strictly Roots & Culture, featuring Rough and Steady International, Piracy, the SouthBay Wailers @ The Roots Factory (1878 Main St., Barrio Logan, 6 p.m., all ages, Dia De Los Muertos Altares, live screenprinting)
- Band of Orcs and more @ Ruby Room
- The Sultans @ Bar Pink
- Halloween Bash, featuring Birth, Erleen Nada, Hocus, VV Morgue, Shaolin Signal @ Kava Lounge
- Lindsay White CD release/Halloween Bash, with Rob Deez, Kenny Eng, Veronica May @ House of Blues (free, Voodoo Stage, all ages. Benefit for Barefoot Kids Foundation. Bring a new pair of kids shoes size 5-14, receive a raffle ticket and a chance to win prizes)
- Anne Margaret Redding @ Lestat's
- Wild & Tame Comedy presents Halloween Standup & Costume Contest, featuring Leeann Tooker, Yuri Bohlen, Kristy Darrenouge, Jiavani Linayao, Sid Singh. Live music from Love Mason, Harow and special guest @ Dreamstreet
- Sharon Cuneta and Pops Fernandez @ Harrah's Rincon Casino Pavilion
- Nights of the Living Shred @ Hensley's Flying Elephant
- Reggie Smith Halloween Bash @ Humphreys Backstage Lounge
- Heavy Metal Halloween Bash & Costume Party, featuring Dust n' Bones, Priest Heavy, Best of Both Worlds, A Bad Name, Malice Cooper @ 4th & B
- L.E.D. Presents Riva Starr, Yusef @ Voyeur
- Fetish, featuring 2 Live Crew, DJ Loczi, live freak show @ Fluxx
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events, and sometimes whatever creeps into her head on her music blog San Diego: Dialed In. Check it for even more listings. She also provides social media content for the Casbah. Follow her updates at twitter.com/sddialedin or submit your music listings.