The Silent Comedy
It's true that I have a strong bias when it comes to the first annual Rocktoberfest in North Park.
Put together by West Coast Tavern (where I book bands), the Casbah (whose online presence I help to manage) and additional sponsors, no doubt I want to see this event become successful. But beyond my professional ties, above all else, I am a music geek through and through, and this lineup is going to be fanastic for an all-day festival. The Silent Comedy are one of San Diego's most energetic bands, and LA's Fitz and the Tantrums will surely get you groovin'. All the way down the line, this is a solid bill. There's plenty to do when it's over, too, if you haven't completely exhausted yourself.
Saturday, Oct. 23:
- Rocktoberfest!, featuring the Silent Comedy, Fitz and the Tantrums, Get Back Loretta, Cash'd Out, Midnight Rivals, the Howls, The Styletones, Little Hurricane @ North Park (University & 29th, 11a.m. to 10 p.m.; $15 online or at West Coast Tavern; $20 day of show)
- Alan Wilder (Recoil/Depeche Mode), DJ Edgartronic @ M-Theory in-store (free, all ages, 5 p.m.)
- Recoil (featuring Alan Wilder of Depeche Mode) @ Anthology (late show, 9:30 p.m.)
- Steve Poltz, Bushwalla @ Belly Up
- Wallpaper, Butterfly Bones, Rafter @ Casbah
- El Ten Eleven, Jamuel Saxon, Weatherbox @ Soda Bar
- Mark Sultan, Slang Chickens, DJ Mikey Face @ Bar Pink
- Danzig @ Pala Casino
- The Flowerthief, Matt Curreri and the Ex-Friends, Wires on the Walls @ Tin Can
- D.I., Tim Raldo and the Filthy Fuks @ The Shakedown
- Black and Blue Just Like You art show by O, music by Little White Teeth @ Subtext, 6 p.m.
- MEX (Mario Escovedo Experience) @ Riviera Supper Club
- Glen Campbell @ Sycuan "Live & Up Close"
- Two Year Anniversary Party, featuring Arnocorps, Neverland Ranch Hands, Minor Talent (Ruby Room staff covers Minor Threat), Revenge Club @ Ruby Room (free PBR 9-10 p.m., raffle, giveaways and more)
- Midnight Rivals, Behind the Wagon @ Eleven
- Pete Rock & CL Smooth @ Sound Wave
- Outspoken, Run With the Hunted, A Better Hope Foundation, One Choice, Sleep Walk, Capsize @ Che Cafe
- Brooke Mackintosh @ Templar's Hall, Old Poway Park
- Christopher Dale (CD release), Lindsay and the White Lies @ O'Connell's
- Jordan Reimer (book release) @ Lestat's
- Psydecar, the Legacy, Calamas, Israel Maldonado, Cumbia Mackin @ Brick By Brick
- Ryan Montbleau Band @ Winston's
- Rich Hardesty, Erick Macek @ 710 Beach Club
- Four Year Strong, Comeback Kid, the Wonder Years, American Fangs, A Dull Science @ Soma
- Johnny Vato's Dead Man's Party @ 4th & B -- read Chris Cantore's preview before the show
- The Eleventh Hour, A Cadillac Murder, the Fight Back, Wrath, Mikura Suzuki @ Epicentre
- He Is the Painter, Black Widow Prophecy, Disaster Magnet, Calamitous Intent, the Pilots, High Minded Culture (video premiere) @ Dreamstreet
- The Paul Seaforth Quartet @ Dizzy's (San Diego Wine and Culinary Center)
- The Weener Pigs @ Humphreys Backstage Lounge (5-7 p.m.)
- Nick Moss and the Flip Tops @ Humphreys Backstage Lounge (9:30 p.m.)
- Tribute to Sade, featuring Taboo Band @ Anthology (early show, 7:30 p.m.)
- John Sebastian @ Acoustic Music San Diego (sold out)
- Tribute to Simon & Garfunkel (featuring Mark Curran and Tom Haney) @ California Center for the Arts Escondido
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events, and sometimes whatever creeps into her head on her music blog San Diego: Dialed In. Check it for even more listings. She also provides social media content for the Casbah. Follow her updates at twitter.com/sddialedin or submit your music listings.