Joan Osborne, who famously asked, "What if God was one of us?" performs tonight at Anthology.
Most of the time I have very strong feelings about my show suggestions, but tonight offers such a variety of shows that it's hard for me to pick just one or two.
I'm personally a huge fan of Elf Power and have only had the pleasure of seeing them once before, but getting up to UCSD might be a challenge, in which case maybe I'll catch a local show on the opposite end of the spectrum, like Lord Howler over at Eleven. Singer/songwriter Joan Osborne is sure to sound great on the Anthology stage, or there's a rare night of hardcore at the Casbah. Most likely though, I'll stick to my neighborhood, walk over to the Ould Sod and catch Manchest & Her, a local band that performs there every Friday. They do some covers -- ones I love and ones that make everyone in the bar cringe -- but tonight they'll be raising money for Breast Cancer Awareness. For every $10 donated, an item of clothing will come off. Men stripping for a cause? I say, "Yes!"
Friday, Oct. 22:
- Elf Power, Half Handed Cloud, Red Pony Clock @ Che Cafe
- Joan Osborne @ Anthology (early show, 7:30 p.m.)
- Envy, La Dispute, Touche Amore, And So I Watch You From Afar @ Casbah
- Longsleeves, I's and the Oculist, Kelsea Rae Little, Bobby Pena and the Stowaways @ Tin Can
- C-Money, Hunter Green, Abalze, Dre Gipson @ Sound Wave
- Super Diamond, the PettyBreakers @ Belly Up
- Lord Howler, In the Red @ Eleven
- Starcrossed, the Safes, the Very, the Verso @ Soda Bar
- Stalins of Sound (record release), San Pedro El Cortez, DJs Tyrone Clean Cut, Juliancito @ Whistle Stop
- Bret Michaels @ Viejas Casino
- The Brave Ones, the Yucks, the Reservoir Tips @ The Shakedown
- The Smart Brothers, The Makepeace Brothers @ Jitters Coffee (Oceanside)
- Manchest & Her @ Ould Sod
- Lady Cellie, DJ APR, Creation Sound, DJ Danny Bread @ O'Connell's
- Sqwonk @ Sushi Art
- The Western Set @ Riviera
- Flyleaf, Story of the Year @ House of Blues
- Chris Clark, Joseph Pfeifer, Michelle Lewis @ Lestat's
- The Devastators @ Winston's
- Alzheimer's benefit show, featuring 145th Street, the Big Decisions, the Buzzkills @ 710 Beach Club
- Kiss the Concrete presents Raelin, Lindbergh Skies, One Hot Minute, OkayOkay!, Make It Last Kid, Pigs Can Fly, Blow Me Down @ Epicentre
- City Delivered, To Build an Empire, Breaking the Aura, Globe and Beast, For the Legends, To Each His Own @ Soma
- Red Hand, Nothing Haunts Me, Three Fifths Human, Silent Lune, A Bad Name, Bedpost Buzzards @ Dreamstreet
- Gilbert Castellanos and His New Latin Jazz Quartet @ Dizzy's (San Diego Wine and Culinary Center)
- Rising Star @ Humphreys Backstage Lounge
- Raiz Music @ Hensley's Flying Elephant
- Rockhill & Seedless present Barrington Levy, Martin Campbell, Fully Fullwood, Southtown Generals, Cualli, DJ Unite @ 4th & B
- An Evening With Kathy Griffin @ Civic Theater
- Griffin House, Tyler James @ Anthology (late show, 9:30 p.m.)
- Social Green, Destructo Bunny @ Gallagher's
- Glen Campbell @ Sycuan "Live & Up Close"
- The Clairmonstaz, G, Hanibal MC, 8L!ve8, Sixty-Two, Guap Inc & R.M.E., L.Y.R.I.K., MoodyLoc-Da Moody Assassin, Kali Krew, Yung Blaze, Mike SaV, Mason James, Kelsey Decoito, Christina Louise @ Ramona Mainstage
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events, and sometimes whatever creeps into her head on her music blog San Diego: Dialed In. Check it for even more listings. She also provides social media content for the Casbah. Follow her updates at twitter.com/sddialedin or submit your music listings.