You know what I love? Free street festivals. You know what I love even more? Free street fairs that fall on a Sunday. There's way too much going on in this city on Saturdays, so it's a really smart move that Golden Hill's resurrected street festival takes place on Sunday. Along with great local bands like Rafter and Tropical Popsicle, our buddies Strange Vine from Fresno and Incan Abraham from L.A. are included in this year's lineup. This will definitely be well-attended, so take a bus or ride your bike to avoid parking headaches. By nightfall, Saves the Day play a sold-out show at the Irenic; Kylesa performs at Brick By Brick; indie trip-hoppers San Fermin appear at the Casbah; and my favorite Colorado band, Drag the River, return to Bar Pink. Good times, for sure, so hopefully you've got Columbus Day off to partake in the revelry.
Sunday, Oct. 13:
- Golden Hill Street Fair 2013, featuring Rafter, Incan Abraham, Tropical Popsicle, Twin Brother, Strange Vine, Heavy Hawaii, Wild Wild Wets, Ditches, Ed Ghost Tucker, Kill Quanti DJ sets @ 25th Street between B & C. (free, all-ages, 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
- Casbah presents Drag the River, Mike Donovan (Sic Alps) @ Bar Pink
- San Fermin, Okapi Sun, Natasha Kozaily @ The Casbah
- Casbah presents J. Roddy Waltson and the Business, Gringo Star @ Soda Bar
- Casbah presents Kylesa, Pinkish Black, Sierra @ Brick By Brick
- Soda Bar presents Saves the Day, Into It Over It, Hostage Calm @ Irenic
- La Jolla Art & Wine Festival @ Girard, between Prospect and Kline
- Wagasa Jam @ San Diego Jet Ski Rentals
- Mimi Zulu, Johne Bowe @ Humphreys backstage
- Jazz Avenue, Sarah Maisel @ Lestats
- Billy Ocean @ Sycuan
- Jose Sinatra hosts O.B.-o-ke @ Winstons
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.